Tuesday, March 10, 2015

SAD

Most days I love living in a place where we get to experience all four seasons. We get the long warm (sometimes too hot) days of summer and then the crisp air with the first snow of the winter. Especially living near the water, the seasons tend to be more vibrant than in other places.

Although I enjoy seeing all four of the seasons, the winter can feel particularly long and dark. I definitely get a little bit of Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter when the days are short and it feels like the snow just won't back off. I get fatigued and lethargic and can sense my motivation lacking more than other times of the year.

I am sure there are other women who experience some of the symptoms of SAD. Luckily, I have found a few tips that make it a little easier for me to make it through the long winter.
  • It can be tough to motivate myself during the winter to exercise but it always feels better after.   Getting in a  good daily sweat not only makes me feel better physically but it helps mentally as well.
  • I always up my supplements in the winter knowing that the shorter days are coming. B12 and Vitamin C & D are my three must have in my vitamin regiment for the summer.
  • Light therapy is one of the most common forms of treatment for SAD. I like to call them happy lights and they really can work! You can get ones for your desk or even an at home alarm clock. (I've used this the Philips Hf3470 Wake-up Light, White)
Do you have any tips to make it through the short days of the winter?

**I am not a doctor. You should consult your doctor if you feel as though you suffer from SAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment