Sunday, May 15, 2016

Boundaries

They say you're supposed to learn a ton of stuff as you get older right?

I can't say that I've learned a ton of stuff, but one thing that I have gained a better understanding of as I've gotten older is the need to set boundaries. And it's been one heck of a positive learning experience.

Part of establishing those boundaries is doing a little bit of self inventory. Find out what's important to you. It's kind of like establishing your non negotiable. For me, it's privacy (which is ironic because I blog). I knew that I wanted to start making decisions and setting boundaries with people in an effort to not compromise my privacy.

The next thing you need to do is start to get comfortable with the word "no," which is friggin hard. One thing that I always try to remember is a quote I heard from the HBO series Girls. It goes something like this.

"It's really liberating saying no to shit you don't want to do."

You can't say yes to everyone and everything and quite honestly, you have no obligation to give a reason or an excuse.

It's okay to walk away from things. If it doesn't fulfill you or fill you up, let it go. Don't engage and don't give it a second of thought or worry.

The biggest boundary I set was with my family, parents and all. Tough it was to communicate where I  was and where I needed to be, there are no regrets.

Speak up for yourself boss.

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment